What Is A Jal Neti In Yoga?
Jal Neti kriya in yoga is a practice that was used by yogis to stay disease-free and most significantly to use the breath well for their yogic practices without any blockages. In a similar way brushing the teeth is dental hygiene; the practice of Jal Neti is a nasal hygiene. This practice uses water to purify and clean the nasal path, starting from the nostrils to the throat.
Jal Neti Techniques
Jal Neti is one of the six-purification procedures or ‘Shatkarmas’ discussed in Hatha Yoga Pradeepika. To perform this technique, you must have a Jal Neti pot which has a long nozzle and is undersized enough to be inserted kindly into one of the nostrils during the process. A pinch of salt is added to the lukewarm water before performing the technique. Various experts and doctors recommend a copper Jal Neti pot to make it more helpful.
What do you need to do Jal Neti? We need following the three basic items:
- A Neti pot
- A pinch of salt
- Lukewarm water
Some of the major Jal Neti benefits
Some of the major benefits of Jal Neti are mentioned below:
- The practice of this method on a daily basis helps maintain the nasal hygiene by removing the dirt and bacteria trapped along with the mucus in the nostrils.
- It soothes the receptive tissues inside the nose, which can assuage a bout of allergies or rhinitis.
- It is helpful in dealing with asthmatic conditions and making breathing easier.
- It can improve upper respiratory complaints such as tonsils, sore throats, and dry coughs.
- It can clear the ducts of eyes and improve vision.
- It decreases tinnitus and middle ear infections.
- It helps abate sinusitis or migraine attack.
- Clearing of nasal passages helps improve the sense of smell and by this means improves the digestion.
- It cools the nervous system and the mind. It also helps alleviate stress and brings clarity to the mind.
- People have experienced a reduction in their anger by practicing Jal Neti on a regular basis.
- It helps advances the quality of your meditation.
Major precautions are taken while performing Jal Neti
There are some important precautions that need to be taken while performing Jal Neti. They are as the following:
- The nose should be dried out properly after the process.
- People with high blood pressure should be alert during this part. If one feels dizzy while drying the nose, then it should be done standing straight.
- Be careful that you do not leave any water in the nasal passages as it might cause an infection.
- Similar to any other yogic practice, learn it from an expert practitioner.
- Jal Neti goes beyond nasal cleansing and helps in aligning the mind, the body, and the soul. Therefore, it should be practiced on a daily basis and not only when one has a cold or a nasal blockage.